[FX.php List] Strange encoding problem

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Thu Sep 8 06:05:10 MDT 2011

OK, so now I know exactly why my web server was encoding the pages differently yesterday:

On Saturday I installed the Web Pub. Engine on their web server; previously, this client was using one of my existing webserver/database server pairs for its web app, but they decided they wanted their own FM Server machine in addition to their web server that they have now.

So I installed the WPE and tied it to their new FM Server machine.

At this point, the web server started encoding these old HTML pages differently, and a lot of characters rendered as broken images (apostrophes, bullets, and a few more).

If I were to take one of these almost 2 million static HTML pages and add a HEAD tag to it for UTF-8, it would work fine; naturally, this isn't a reasonable fix.

So I set their web app back to the old WPE, did an uninstall of the WPE on their web server, and everything returned to the way it was.

So my guess is that the WPE wants to see UTF-8, not old badly-rendered pages generated by a vintage copy of MS Word (which is what this guy used to create these pages).

I suppose I could dig and find the setting that was changed by the WPE, but for now I've told my client they'll have to continue to use a shared FM Server machine as they've done for almost 7 years.

Doubt this will come up for anyone else, but thought I'd post it nevertheless.

Bob Patin
Longterm Solutions LLC
bob at longtermsolutions.com
FileMaker 9, 10 & 11 Certified Developer
Twitter: bobpatin
Google+: http://www.longtermsolutions.com/plus
AIM: longterm1954
iChat: bobpatin