[FX.php List] Strange encoding problem

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Wed Sep 7 20:34:55 MDT 2011

Found it!

To explain: when a user selects a couple of parameters (comparing 2 vehicle models), I query the database to find the static HTML page that has a report on it (they're static because that's what my client generates); the final page of the app includes the appropriate static HTML page.

Because these awful pages are made from MS Word, which has a "create HTML" feature, they're stuffed with awful tags, including an open <html> tag and a couple of HEAD tags; when I added a UTF-8 tag, it fixed the error, but there are almost 2 million of these pages, so no way to fix them all.

So my question was, why did this suddenly happen? I have 9 web servers here, and some would encode the page properly, some not; by comparing the modules that are enabled in OS X Server, I was able to determine that by having the "header module" OFF, and not encoding for UTF-8, the page rendered properly.

So that's all it was; somehow the web server had the header module enabled... :)

Best,

Bob

Bob Patin
Longterm Solutions LLC
P.O. Box 3408
Brentwood, TN 37024
bob at longtermsolutions.com
iChat: bobpatin
AIM: longterm1954
Twitter: bobpatin
Google+: http://www.longtermsolutions.com/plus
--
FileMaker 9, 10 & 11 Certified Developer
FileMaker hosting and consulting for all versions of FileMaker