[FX.php List] error 100

David Ness dness at bondedbuilders.com
Wed Mar 24 13:44:14 MDT 2010

Along these lines...

I realize that the following will sound like a paid endorsement, but I
have no affiliation other than I have extensively researched this
product and will soon be a customer. I'm simply excited about this new
solution and I'm eager to share my experience with my fellow list
members, especially those that must deal with midday backups affecting
online timeout errors.

Our company relies extensively, and increasingly so, on my
fx.PHP/FileMaker solution. Our entire FM database is approximately 16GB
in size (and growing). Our data is important enough to warrant the need
for much more than "middle of the night" backups, so we are forced to
perform selected backups on the most critical files midday, "coffee
cupping" local users, and creating a poor user experience (and possibly
timeout errors) for online fx.PHP access.

I am about to take delivery of a "Super FileMaker Server" (actually
called Econnectix XFM for FileMaker), which totally solves the backup
coffee cup/timeout problem. It is a FMSA v11 server that will, besides
being a very robust FileMaker server, will back up our entire database,
all 16GB, in a fraction of a second (instead of the usual 1.5 hours),
allowing us to go from partial, midday backups, to a very robust full
backup EVERY 15 MINUTES! Plus, it automatically rotates backups every
quarter-hourly (x8), hourly (x24), and daily (x7)! (39 fully automated,
rotated backups in total).

You may have seen this specialized FileMaker server being demonstrated
at last year's DevCon.

http://www.econnectix.com/products/xpd/xfm/index.html

I'm pretty excited about the improvement this system promises to both my
local and web-based FileMaker clients.

Downside? The cost. The total cost of this one server is approaching
40K. Yikes!

I'll be certain to post a follow-up to this post in a few months to let
you know if the actual results match the expectations.

David Allen Ness
Database Systems Administrator
Web Applications Developer