[FX.php List] Server Migration - Theory vs Real Life

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Sun Jan 24 13:02:19 MST 2010

The only problem that I've experienced had to do with short open tags in PHP, but there are some other things I'd check before I moved a PHP site:

1. (a fundamental one) Does the Web Publ. Engine actually work? Has a test been run?
2. (coincidental with that) Are the necessary ports open on both machines?
3. Has the database server's schedules been set up? It's easy to forget to do that on a new install...
4. Has the PHP code been checked and all short open tags been replaced with full tags?
5. Does the site use anything that has been installed on the old server that is server-specific?

Other than that, I can't think of any other elements to beware of; I've moved PHP sites quite a few times among my servers, but in my case, all of my web and database servers are configured the same except for IP addresses--same PHP versions, same FMS version, same OS X Server versions--so that makes it much easier.

Best,

Bob Patin

Longterm Solutions LLC
P.O. Box 3408
Brentwood, TN 37024
bob at longtermsolutions.com
iChat: bobpatin
Twitter: bobpatin
FileMaker 10 Certified Developer
FileMaker hosting and consulting for all versions of FileMaker