[FX.php List] Economical Mac Server setup

Roger Moffat rogerkiwi at mac.com
Wed Feb 11 08:52:12 MST 2009

On Feb 11, 2009, at 10:38 AM, Dale Bengston wrote:

> The difference between a new Mac and a two-year-old Mac is huge for
> people on the front lines of such production. So, it may be
> yesterday's technology for them, but for the rest of us, a G5 is
> still a wicked server platform.

I've got 22 databases that total about 1.8 million records, including
one database of over 800,000 records all running on an eMac that has a
700 MHz G4 chip in it - it's working splendidly for me here http://data.wmgs.org/

and then click any of the Search buttons - the first one goes to the
largest database. Yes, they're simple databases of only a few fields
and nothing very complicated, but the eMac has served well for nearly
2 years now. And it replaced a PowerMac 7500 that ran FileMaker Pro 6
Unlimited for about 7 years prior to that (FileMaker 4 before that I
think it was).

The eMac does the database part of the 2 machine setup, and my Mac Pro
2 x quad core 2.8 GHz does the Apache part of it. The LAN is 100 MBit
between the machines.

Old Mac hardware never dies - it just goes into my basement to become
a FileMaker Server machine :-)

Cheers

Roger