[FX.php List] Economical Mac Server setup

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Wed Feb 11 09:03:32 MST 2009

I can go that one farther!

When I started hosting databases in 1998, I got an iMac for $300 from
eBay; I put FileMaker 5 Unlimited on it, and used it along with 2
others for a RAIC (redundant array of inexpensive computers) for using
FileMaker with CDML. For those of you who never dealt with CDML, you
had to use FileMaker Unlimited, which was essentially an unlimited-
user version of FileMaker Pro client, to talk to the web server.

So anyway, I had 3 FM Unlimited machines for each of my 4 RAICs; I'm
down to one RAIC now and only a half-dozen CDML sites, for clients who
refuse to upgrade; that original iMac has been running 24/7 for almost
12 years now. I told these CDML clients that I wouldn't be upgrading
hardware, and won't be, so that old iMac still sits in my server room
doing its thing.

One of the original CDML clients upgraded his site this year to XSLT,
and swears that his original site, running on CDML through FileMaker 5
Unlimited and OS 9 (if you can believe it), is faster than his new
site running with PHP.

So that machine is a testament to old long-outdated hardware still
running great and keeping up with state-of-the-art server hardware.

Bob Patin
Longterm Solutions LLC
bob at longtermsolutions.com
Twitter: bobpatin
iChat/AIM: bobpatin
FileMaker 9 Certified Developer
Member of FileMaker Business Alliance & TechNet
FileMaker hosting and consulting for all versions of FileMaker