[FX.php List] Economical Mac Server setup

Dale Bengston dbengston at tds.net
Wed Feb 11 08:38:08 MST 2009

Used equipment is a pretty good way to go, in my opinion. Very often,
dollar value does not keep pace with capability. Most companies
selling off high-end hardware like G5s are doing so because they've
moved on to Intel. The market for these machines is people doing
graphics, print and video production. The difference between a new Mac
and a two-year-old Mac is huge for people on the front lines of such
production. So, it may be yesterday's technology for them, but for the
rest of us, a G5 is still a wicked server platform.

My dad worked in electronics manufacturing for around about 100 years,
and he taught me the 48-hour rule: if you run a new piece of
electronics for 48 hours and it's still running, it'll probably run
forever. Most failures occur within that length of time. (Disclaimers
of course for mistreatment/abuse, and of course components with moving
parts like hard drives and power supplies.) So, a used G5 is probably
good for another 3-5 years.

For the type of web-based work we're doing, and as Bob P has pointed
out, hard drive RPM and RAM are more important than raw processor
speed. In both of these categories, the expansion options are better
for a G5 than they are for a mini. My rule of thumb is, a server
should be a server, and run on server-class hardware. A mini is not
server class. We're talking a laptop hard drive here.

That said, I have two more comments:

1. I absolutely love Mac minis. I wish I had five of them in a stack.
I have used one as an internal testing/dev server for years. I would
not put one out facing clients (or their customers) though. I now have
a Mac mini in my living room, hooked up to my TV and stereo, as well
as the Internet. Pretty cool.

2. One could make the case for buying used Mac Pros instead of G5s
now, as Apple will soon start dropping pre-Intel hardware off the
supported lists for OS X. If you want to take used hardware into the
future, and keep up to date on OS X, go Intel.

My 2¢.

Dale