[FX.php List] FX and PHP API

Tim 'Webko' Booth tim at nicheit.com.au
Tue Apr 21 06:05:45 MDT 2009

Dear Earl,

> Over a several year period, I (with the help of Michael Layne)
> developed a FX-PHP-based solution. It is functioning properly but I
> wish to move it to another server and now attempting to set an
> immediate and long-range strategy. The solution was developed in FX
> version 4. I have a Mac Xserve running OS X 10.4.11 with FileMaker
> Server Advanced 10 and PHP is functional but FX is not.
>
> Ideally, I would like to run FX AND the FM PHP API. Now that the API
> is running, can I also run FX or is it either one or the other? If
> it is only one, what is the procedure for disabling the API and
> installing FX? Now that both have been around for awhile, are there
> advantages and disadvantages to running one over the other?

They actually address a FM database through totally different methods
so both can be run.

One uses the XML interface (thus the FX) and the other the PHP
interface (PHP API).

Even if they used the same it wouldn;t matter - a given request would
be made using one class or the other class and they shouldn;t clash
anyway.

I have to say, and it's in some ways a personal preference, that I
like the FX class better than the PHP API (perhaps if they hadn't
tried to give the semi-CDML feel to it?)

And you don't need to enable/disable either really - if you have the
FX class available then you can use it or the other way around.

Cheers

Webko