[FX.php List] Modification ID - what is it?

Ben Bradley batfastad at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 07:41:50 MST 2008

Hi everyone

I'm using a slightly old version of FX.php (4.2) because it just works at
the moment - and the internal solution it powers is pretty complicated and
in need of change.
I often find with this solution that once I start tampering things, they
generally break! So I've left it alone.
I run FileMaker Server 5.5, with FileMaker 6 Unlimited and our 7 network
users all use GileMaker 5.5

Gradually however I'm moving our solution to MySQL for various reasons -
mainly because if I ever left the company, it would be easier for them to
find a MySQL developer round the corner than a FileMaker / FX.php dev.
FX and FileMaker have served us very well indeed!

On to my question...

What exactly is the modification ID that gets read by the XML output?
Obviously you use it to avoid data clashes.

- I've got a suspicion that it is the modification count of a record - how
many times a record has been modified. Is that correct?

- Does it exist for every record in a database?

- Is it accurate? So could I use it as the basis for a modification_count
field in my MySQL database?

- From what version of FileMaker was this introduced into databases?
Was it present in the old .FP3 format? Once we converted our files to .FP5?
Or just once FileMaker Unlimited appeared on our network?

All our database files were once FileMaker 4 (.fp3) files so I'm just trying
to get a rough date that the modification id started from. So then I can
say, modified 5264 times since April 2004 or something like that.

Thanks, Ben