[FX.php List] Cookie issue

Leo R. Lundgren leo at finalresort.org
Fri Feb 22 10:43:04 MST 2008

22 feb 2008 kl. 18.38 skrev Bob Patin:

> I have a large web application that uses cookies throughout the app
> to track the current user, as well as other info.
>
> The client sells access to his web app to his subscribers, who put
> a link to this site in their own sites.
>
> Most of their clients (auto dealers) want to frame in this site
> inside their own, and that's where the trouble starts: with some
> web hosts (I suspect these are using Windows-based web server
> software), the act of embedding the web app prevents the web app
> from properly writing cookies.
>
> Some of you may recall that I went through this a year ago, and
> found out about Microsoft's ill-conceived Compact Privacy Policy
> that they initiated. Essentially, unless you get a policy and put
> the proper code on your site, Internet Explorer will look at your
> site with a wary eye and not write a cookie when instructed.
>
> SO... we got a policy certificate and installed it; I even spoke
> with one of the people who co-wrote this totally annoying piece of
> code for the web consortium (whose name I forget now).
>
> The problem: some servers still seem to have trouble with our site,
> and cookies don't get written. What this means is that, instead of
> embedding the web app in their site like all these car dealers
> want, they have to put the web app in a new window, which of course
> introduces other problems.
>
> MY QUESTION: Is there a way to use session variables that doesn't
> use cookies? I was thinking that there was. Does anyone have
> another method that they use to pass variables throughout a web
> app, that wouldn't involve cookies? I need to use variables for
> about 10-20 pieces of data (company name, address, phone, logo
> filepath, etc.).
>
> Thanks for any suggestions,
>
> Bob Patin
> Longterm Solutions
> bob at longtermsolutions.com
> 615-333-6858
> http://www.longtermsolutions.com
> Member of FileMaker Business Alliance and FileMaker TechNet
>
>   CONTACT US VIA INSTANT MESSAGING:
>      AIM or iChat: longterm1954
>      Yahoo: longterm_solutions
>      MSN: tech at longtermsolutions.com
>      ICQ: 159333060

Are you using the cookies to store the actual information throughout
the session, or are you using cookies to store a session's id, and
have the session (on the server) contain the actual information?

I use the standard session setup with cookies. But it's also possible
to keep the session id (which is the piece of information that is
stored in a session cookie) floating along in links. Check the PHP
manual under the session part and you'll see some examples.

-|