[FX.php List] Cookie issue

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Fri Feb 22 10:38:17 MST 2008

I have a large web application that uses cookies throughout the app to
track the current user, as well as other info.

The client sells access to his web app to his subscribers, who put a
link to this site in their own sites.

Most of their clients (auto dealers) want to frame in this site inside
their own, and that's where the trouble starts: with some web hosts (I
suspect these are using Windows-based web server software), the act of
embedding the web app prevents the web app from properly writing
cookies.

Some of you may recall that I went through this a year ago, and found
out about Microsoft's ill-conceived Compact Privacy Policy that they
initiated. Essentially, unless you get a policy and put the proper
code on your site, Internet Explorer will look at your site with a
wary eye and not write a cookie when instructed.

SO... we got a policy certificate and installed it; I even spoke with
one of the people who co-wrote this totally annoying piece of code for
the web consortium (whose name I forget now).

The problem: some servers still seem to have trouble with our site,
and cookies don't get written. What this means is that, instead of
embedding the web app in their site like all these car dealers want,
they have to put the web app in a new window, which of course
introduces other problems.

MY QUESTION: Is there a way to use session variables that doesn't use
cookies? I was thinking that there was. Does anyone have another
method that they use to pass variables throughout a web app, that
wouldn't involve cookies? I need to use variables for about 10-20
pieces of data (company name, address, phone, logo filepath, etc.).

Thanks for any suggestions,

bob at longtermsolutions.com

   CONTACT US VIA INSTANT MESSAGING:
      AIM or iChat: longterm1954