[FX.php List] FM SQL capabilities?

Leo R. Lundgren leo at finalresort.org
Mon Feb 2 10:02:09 MST 2009

2 feb 2009 kl. 17.43 skrev Anders Monsen:
> On Feb 2, 2009, at 10:23 AM, Leo R.Lundgren wrote:
>
>> - I have been reading a bit about it, but I constantly get the
>> impression that ESS can only /read/ data from SQL sources, it
>> doesn't seem to be able to create or update records in the SQL
>> source. Is this correct?
>
> ESS does in fact allow record creation and updates. There are
> certain requirements, but we have been able to work around these
> and create/update records in mySQL. I also know that MS SQL and
> Oracle should work the same way.
>
> The requirement include having write access, and being aware of the
> field definitions in the SQL table. On the Mac OS side you may need
> to purchase ODBC drivers. On Windows we were able to install these
> from within the existing OS.

Hi, and thanks,

That didn't sound as bad as I expected :-) So, would the following be
a correct summary of what needs to be done to update the MySQL
database using ESS?

	1) Set up a user and CRU(D) privileges in MySQL, for the FM database/
user.
	2) Set up ODBC and its DNS on the FM server, for connections to the
MySQL database.
	3) Go ahead and embed the MySQL table in question in the FileMaker
database definition.

I suppose it's quite straight forward in step #3, or is there
anything special that needs to be done in order to enable FM to
update the tables as well?

Is there any special ODBC drivers you'd recommend? I think the
environment is both OS X and Windows.

-|