[FX.php List] FM SQL capabilities?

Anders Monsen andersm at alamark.com
Mon Feb 2 10:09:38 MST 2009

On Feb 2, 2009, at 11:02 AM, Leo R. Lundgren wrote:

> That didn't sound as bad as I expected :-) So, would the following
> be a correct summary of what needs to be done to update the MySQL
> database using ESS?
>
> 	1) Set up a user and CRU(D) privileges in MySQL, for the FM
> database/user.
> 	2) Set up ODBC and its DNS on the FM server, for connections to the
> MySQL database.
> 	3) Go ahead and embed the MySQL table in question in the FileMaker
> database definition.
>
> I suppose it's quite straight forward in step #3, or is there
> anything special that needs to be done in order to enable FM to
> update the tables as well?
>
> Is there any special ODBC drivers you'd recommend? I think the
> environment is both OS X and Windows

In Windows you can use the system based ODBC drives. For Mac I would
recommend Actual Technologies (contact Jonathan Monroe @ monroej at actualtechnologies.com
  for any questions). We bought the 250 user license for one solution
even though we won't have that many users, but there is no level
between 10 users and 250).

Numbers 1 and 2 are relatively easy. Create the user and password with
the privs you want in MySQL, then set up the ODBC system drivers, then
connect to these in FM using the External Data Sources.

You then can bring in the MySQL table into the FM db via the
Relationships Graph. Test your connection as you now should see data.
If you want to update FMP data first (in separate tables) and then set
the MySQL data I believe you need to write scripts for this, but you
also should be able to edit data directly and create new records from
within the layout that displays the MySQL data.

Regards,
Anders