[FX.php List] OK, this is driving me crazy... SOLVED

Jonathan Schwartz jonathan at exit445.com
Sat Apr 25 10:05:37 MDT 2015

Bob,

It could be either the data in the value lists or the composer field.  Suggest you peruse the data and see what kind of stuff is in there.

How about this: Create one new record and put a known good value in the Composer field.

Change your query to search for that record.  If that works, you know that the query works for a known good value in the Composer field.

Then, add the value list fields to the layout one by one and see if/when it breaks.  If it breaks right away on the first value list, try another one.  The first one you try might be the culprit.  Keep in mind that multiple (or all) of the value lists might be bad.  Given the crap that end users will paste into a FileMaker field from MSWord or worse, I’m still betting on weird characters in either Composer or one or more of the value lists.

If all existing value lists fail, create a new value list and put it on the layout with Composer.

By this time, we have isolated all of the entities and should have an “Aha” moment of clarity.

The ultimate solution might be to apply a php function to the output of the data query to normalize data weirdness.

Jonathan Schwartz
jonathan at exit445.com