[FX.php List] Do RackSpace "Snapshots" conform to Best Practices?

John May jmaymailing at pointinspace.com
Fri Mar 9 12:07:10 MST 2012

Snapshots on VMs are going to be as you describe, the equivalent of
backing up live databases and not advisable.

This is why we do file-level backups with all of our FileMaker VMs here,
backing up scheduled FileMaker Server backups - not the live files.

	- John

On 3/9/12 1:20 PM, Jonathan Schwartz wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I need a quick weigh-in from FileMaker experts on the list.
>
> One of my clients has moved FileMaker Web Publishing to third party
> RackSpace, which uses virtual servers under Windows.
>
> After a week of trying to run FMS on only 2gb ram, they have agreed to
> upgrade the instance to 4gb. The upgrade process consists of an
> automated system that takes a "snapshot" of the server and then rewrites
> the "snapshot" once the memory has been upgraded.
>
> I contend that taking the "snapshot" is the same as copying live
> FIleMaker Server files, and in violation of FileMaker Server Best
> Practices. I am urging them to shut down FileMaker Server and do the
> upgrade with it shut down. Others are saying the the "snapshot" approach
> is OK.
>
> Does anyone have experience with snapshots or RackSpace or both?
>
> Need a quick answer, as I am standing on the tracks refusing to
> budge....for the good of the data. ;-)
>
> Thanks
>
> Jonathan

John May : President                   http://www.pointinspace.com/
Point In Space Internet Solutions         800.664.8610 919.338.8198

         Professional FileMaker Pro, MySQL, PHP & Lasso Hosting
           on shared, virtual and hardware dedicated servers