[FX.php List] Do RackSpace "Snapshots" conform to Best Practices?

Jonathan Schwartz jschwartz at exit445.com
Fri Mar 9 11:20:21 MST 2012

Hi Folks,

I need a quick weigh-in from FileMaker experts on the list.

One of my clients has moved FileMaker Web Publishing to third party
RackSpace, which uses virtual servers under Windows.

After a week of trying to run FMS on only 2gb ram, they have agreed
to upgrade the instance to 4gb.  The upgrade process consists of an
automated system that takes a "snapshot" of the server and then
rewrites the "snapshot" once the memory has been upgraded.

I contend that taking the "snapshot" is the same as copying live
FIleMaker Server files, and in violation of FileMaker Server Best
Practices.  I am urging them to shut down FileMaker Server and do the
upgrade with it shut down.  Others are saying the the "snapshot"
approach is OK.

Does anyone have experience with snapshots or RackSpace or both?

Need a quick answer, as I am standing on the tracks refusing to
budge....for the good of the data. ;-)

Thanks

Jonathan

--