[FX.php List] Odd problem with POST values - UPDATE

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Fri Aug 24 07:11:21 MDT 2012

OK, so here's what Christ Hansen helped me to realize about the problem with a large POST value not getting into FIleMaker:

My client has been running her own 1-machine install of the WPE for several years at a large university. Last year her web-publishing quit working, and after trying to find it for several days, Chris Hansen helped me and determined that FX was unable to use its normal POST mechanism to post XML data to the web publishing engine.

So he made a tiny switch in the FX.php file, which set FX to use GETs instead of POST. I subsequently forgot all about the change, so didn't think of this when this latest problem cropped up.

As a result, any submission from the forms was actually using a POST to post the form, but a GET to process the data to the web publishing engine. Because of this, long data strings were more than what the GET submission could handle, causing a failure.

Rather than try to find the problem in her server, she's going to move hosting here to me, so I guess we'll never know what went haywire on her machine (running FMSA 11 on a Mac G5 of some sort, don't know the version of OS X Server).

So long as she submits normal forms with small character counts, her forms work fine; it's just on this one form, where applicants submit essays, that it chokes.

Thought someone might find this useful somewhere down the road.

Bob Patin
Longterm Solutions LLC
bob at longtermsolutions.com
FileMaker 9, 10 & 11 Certified Developer
Twitter: bobpatin
Google+: http://www.longtermsolutions.com/plus
AIM: longterm1954
iChat: bobpatin