[FX.php List] Question about uploading

Steve Winter steve at bluecrocodile.co.nz
Mon Jun 27 14:57:21 MDT 2011

Hi Bob

> <snip>
> Here are my questions:
>
> 1. Do I need to set any sort of WRITE privileges on a Windows server in order to be able to write to the folder?

Yes... you will need to give the IIS user account write permissions - usually IIS runs as a user called IUSR_ComputerName where ComputerName is the name of the machine and it's that user which will need to have write permissions on the folder you wish to save data in.

> 2. Does the web server need any specific port in order to allow the public to upload to this folder (this has to be open to the public for uploading)?

No - you're uploading via HTTP so that port's already open to serve your pages...

> 3. On the Mac, I've always specified the exact path to the uploads folder, not just put "uploads/" in there; assuming my upload.php page is in the same directory as the "uploads" folder, is that the right way to do it on the PC, or should I use the explicit directory path?

I have found that on IIS specifying the full path to remove one less thing that might go wrong... if your folder is relative to you file, then I would tend to do something like;
	$saveFolder = dirname(__FILE__).'/uploads/';
since that way you don't have to explicitly set a variable to the path anywhere (in case things get moved round on the sever, but you'll end up using a complete path when you go to save the file.

HTH

Cheers
Steve

> Thanks,
>
> Bob Patin
> Longterm Solutions
> bob at longtermsolutions.com
> 615-333-6858
> http://www.longtermsolutions.com
> iChat: bobpatin
> FileMaker 9, 10 & 11 Certified Developer
> Member of FileMaker Business Alliance and FileMaker TechNet
> --
> Expert FileMaker Consulting
> FileMaker Hosting for all versions of FileMaker
> PHP • Full email services • Free DNS hosting • Colocation • Consulting:

Steve Winter
+44 777 852 4776
steve at bluecrocodile.co.nz