[FX.php List] Question about uploading

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Mon Jun 27 13:03:00 MDT 2011

I've written upload pages for a lot of clients, but have always uploaded to my web servers here.

Now I have to do the same to a client's web server, which is running Windows IIS.

Here's the string I'm using in the upload script:

copy ($_FILES['video1']['tmp_name'], "uploads/".$upload_date.$_FILES['video1']['name'] or die ('You have not specified a video file to upload. <a href="javascript:history.back();">CLICK HERE</a> to return to the previous page.');

Here are my questions:

1. Do I need to set any sort of WRITE privileges on a Windows server in order to be able to write to the folder?
2. Does the web server need any specific port in order to allow the public to upload to this folder (this has to be open to the public for uploading)?
3. On the Mac, I've always specified the exact path to the uploads folder, not just put "uploads/" in there; assuming my upload.php page is in the same directory as the "uploads" folder, is that the right way to do it on the PC, or should I use the explicit directory path?

Thanks,

bob at longtermsolutions.com
iChat: bobpatin
FileMaker 9, 10 & 11 Certified Developer
Expert FileMaker Consulting
PHP • Full email services • Free DNS hosting • Colocation • Consulting: