[FX.php List] Using a web app over a VPN

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Wed Mar 24 16:31:15 MDT 2010

On Mar 24, 2010, at 4:20 PM, Gjermund Gusland Thorsen wrote:

> Is it really slow, or is it taking long before something happens at
> normal speed?

The web server itself isn't slow, but when it starts to do a transaction, it takes forever; you can see it yourself at this link:

https://www.titanicpigeonforge.com/ticket_date.php

This is a simple little page that does one query and pulls 4 records (the ticket types offered on the web). Should take nothing to do.

Pick any date after April 8th (dates before then aren't available--the 8th is opening day).

You'll see that the 2nd page takes at least 10-20 seconds, sometimes as much as a minute, to process; there are only 2 queries on the page. Again, it should be pretty snappy.

The woman at the company asked one of the tech geeks to look at my PHP to "see if there was anything wrong with it." Totally pissed me off, considering that a) he doesn't know squat about PHP, and b) I've already shown them that it runs great on my machines, and c) it ran fine when the 2 machines were in a LAN. But this is what you get sometimes with clients...

> 1) taking long before something happens at normal speed is very often
> meaning DNS problem, check if the problem varporizes if you use IP
> addresses instead of names

Not using a name to define the location of the WPE. Can't use an IP for the transactions because it's using an SSL certificate; I'd test with an IP address if I knew their directory structure, but I don't.

If you try the link above but without "https" you'll see the same slowness.

If whatever they try tonight doesn't solve it, I may ask them for the whole directory path so that we can test with an IP address...

However, it's not a speed issue with either machine; I've done speed tests on the database server, by using Remote Desktop to get to it, and it's always running at least at 1.5Mbs, usually faster, and 2.6 download. The web server's on a 100MBs pipe.

Bob