[FX.php List] Re: Container Quandary

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Wed Oct 7 15:19:45 MDT 2009

> I wanted to store the files in the database container for
> organizational purposes so that record data, pdf, and mp3s are kept
> together.  However if you say it's not a good idea, maybe I should
> rethink it.  On the upside, this site would not have much traffic -
> maybe one user upload per week with a limited download access.

Here's how I do that: when someone wants to upload, they click a link
(or a button); this sends that record's recordID to the next page.

On the 2nd page, they select the file to upload; the file is uploaded
to the web server, and the filename is written into a variable. It
also puts a timestamp in front of the name, to prevent users from
accidentally overwriting files.

Then, it takes that filename and writes it to the FileMaker database's
record, editing the record using the RECID that I captured in the
first step.

That way, each upload is associated with a specific record in the
database.

Hope that helps,

bob at longtermsolutions.com
iChat: bobpatin
FileMaker 10 Certified Developer
FileMaker hosting and consulting for all versions of FileMaker