[FX.php List] Shopping Carts - Keep in SessionVars or Add Records right away?

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Wed Jul 29 09:46:56 MDT 2009

For one client it was a half-hour; this wasn't a cart per se, but a
registration site. The issue for the client was to make sure that
everyone who completed the process was definitely sent an email
confirmation; eventually the other programmer in this project (I was a
sub-contractor on this) decided to write a script, and trigger it
every 60 seconds. It looks for abandoned registrations, and if it's
been more than a half-hour, deletes the temp record. If not, it
confirms that there's a credit card payment auth code and if so, it
sends the confirmation email.

I don't use scripts much at all in web apps, but this was what the
other consultant wanted, and it does work pretty well with scheduled
script-triggering from Server 10.

For this app we use a temp table, but for a smaller app on the same
site, where people are signing up for meetings, I store everything in
session variables until the end because there's not much to keep track
of...

BP

Bob Patin
Longterm Solutions LLC
bob at longtermsolutions.com
Twitter: bobpatin
iChat/AIM: bobpatin
FileMaker 10 Certified Developer
Member of FileMaker Business Alliance & TechNet
FileMaker hosting and consulting for all versions of FileMaker
PHP • jQuery • ExpressionEngine
Full email services • Free DNS hosting • Colocation • Consulting

>>> FX.php_List at mail.iviking.org