[FX.php List] Shopping Carts - Keep in SessionVars or Add Records right away?

Jonathan Schwartz jschwartz at exit445.com
Wed Jul 29 08:53:19 MDT 2009

At 6:57 PM +1000 7/29/09, Head Honcho wrote:
>Hi ggt,
>
>On 29/07/2009, at 6:49 PM, Gjermund Gusland Thorsen wrote:
>
>>What are your criterias for deleting the carts not owned by anybody?
>>

>Fairly basic:
>
>More than 7 days old with no authorisation code (given by the gateway).
>
>Regards
>
>Michael Ward

I'm going to chime in again.

In my experience, this should be a *business
rule*, determined by the client based on how they
want to work with unfinished orders.  If the
client *doesn't* care to access/review unfinished
orders, then "Zero" time is required to keep the
unfinished orders.  If the client *does* value
unfinished orders, then it should be their call
how far back they want to go.

Another consideration...keeping the unfinished
orders for technical troubleshooting and review.
How long does it take for problem reports to
filter back from the Customer to the Client and
then to the Developer?

FYI, my latest online projects employ a temporary
"holding tank" table that contains all orders,
finished and unfinished.  Upon finishing, the
records get copied into the "real" orders table,
leaving a virgin copy of the original order in
the temporary table.  This has been invaluable in
troubleshooting Customer/Client  trouble reports,
as you can show the details of the order at the
moment it was taken, versus dealing with the
"permanent" order that might have changed 27
times since being created.

In one project,we have a routine that compares
temporary orders and permanent orders,
identifying unfinished orders, and emails
customers with a "Wha Happened?" survey...plus a
coupon code and invitation to try again.
Currently, the temp file has 1 year's worth of
orders.  Without this information, how would the
client ever determine, say, that a large
percentage of unfinished orders are due to
perception that shipping costs were too high?
(just an example).

In summary, the decision to keep/not keep
unfinished order data should be determined by
business rules. Failing that, tech rules apply.

Stepping back, let it be said that our roles as
fx.php developers stretches far beyond delivering
what the client ask for...into the arena of
web-marketing e-commerce consultants. At least it
has for me.

My 2¢.

Jonathan

--