[FX.php List] [OFF] Anyone fluent with setting up Wordpress?

Leo R. Lundgren leo at finalresort.org
Mon Jan 19 09:56:54 MST 2009

Indeed, sounds weird if it's Wordpress' own code. Is it not modified
in any way?

Regarding line numbers in errors, I cannot say for sure, but my gut
feeling lately has been that the reporting have gotten better. I just
think that it usually matches the line where my errors are.
However this is when the file is well formatted; for example I had a
file yesterday that the author had saved with only CR's as line
endings, and the errors from this file never showed the right line.
And for a change it was usually a number AFTER the line where the
error was; previously I've mainly experienced the lines being
mentioned "prematurely".

The inconsistency in this specific file's errors may have been a
combination of other files included as well; Maybe PHP gets confused
and reports the incorrect line numbers when the are multiple files
included and they don't have the same line endings (and/or encodings,
I guess that could affect it as well)? I wouldn't be surprised if PHP
doesn't handle such cases.

Assuming your file is well saved then yeah, I wouldn't look much
further than that. Usually if I don't find an error i simply insert a
statement I /know/ will cause an error, and relocate it until I find
the line where my error starts being the first (and usually fatal)
one reported. That way I know that the real error should be right
after my intentional one. The same thing can be accomplished by using
die('GAAAH!'); and relocate that until your script dies with "GAAAH!"
instead of a blank page or whatever the real error causes.

So in short; Make sure files are well formatted, look a bit around
the mentioned line unless you find the error right away, and never be
afraid to use the good old ways to find errors :-)

If you send me the file I can have a look.

-|