[FX.php List] Economical Mac Server setup

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Tue Feb 10 11:36:12 MST 2009

While I agree with Troy and used some Mac Minis for a short while, I
have to caution against using a consumer-grade machine for running
company business.

My biggest concerns are the disk speed (4500 RPM) and heat; I know
that Mac Minis are designed so that they dissipate heat, but they're
not meant to be used the way that a machine is used when it's doing
database calls all day. Granted, I've got 6 Mac Minis and have only
one that has ever caused trouble, but balanced against (at one time)
40 Mac servers and one hardware failure out of 40 machines, and then 6
Mac Minis and one hardware failure...

I know that's anecdotal evidence, and I also know that a lot of people
use Mac Minis for servers (so much so that there's a company that
specializes in hosting Mac Minis) but the question in my mind is: Do
you want to run a company's business on a machine that was designed to
do home computer tasks, or do you want to rely on a machine that is
set up to run 24/7?

My 2 bits... :)

Best,

Bob Patin
Longterm Solutions LLC
bob at longtermsolutions.com
Twitter: bobpatin
iChat/AIM: bobpatin
FileMaker 9 Certified Developer
Member of FileMaker Business Alliance & TechNet
FileMaker hosting and consulting for all versions of FileMaker