[FX.php List] can only create 4 records before timeout

Chris Hansen chris at iViking.org
Sat Aug 1 10:16:50 MDT 2009

David,

Jonathan is right on track.  Unstored calcs and summary fields
especially can add time.  Be sure you ONLY have the fields on there
that you need.

Another thought: you could create the records one at a time, but only
populate (and use a layout) with one or two fields, and then use
another layout with a portal to edit all of those records with a
single query.  This may even be a situation where using a FileMaker
script (as opposed to doing everything with PHP) would make sense.

Note that there are two keys here:

1) FileMaker does the work for all of the fields on any layout you
use, whether you do anything with the returned data or not;

2) There is a fair amount of overhead involved with informational XML
(header information, if you will) returned for each XML query, so the
fewer the queries the better (FYI, the FileMaker API for PHP uses an
even MORE verbose schema...)

HTH

--Chris