[FX.php List] [OFF] Apache 2.2 SSL setup difficulties

Troy Meyers tcmeyers at troymeyers.com
Wed Sep 10 15:11:47 MDT 2008

Dale,

Reporting back. Thanks to this reference, a lot of head-scratching and undoing and redoing, and some offlist suggestions from Bob Patin, I have the new Mini operating as a secure server.

I couldn't actually use the instructions verbatim on the page...
http://developer.apple.com/internet/serverside/modssl.html
...because they refer to an older version, and paths and other things have changed, as well as the fact that many of the instructions are unnecessary since in the Leopard Apache 2.2 nearly everything is already set up. But it was very helpful helping me figure out what was what, and what few lines I actually did need to change.

Also, I didn't use a self-signed certificate, instead I got a free one from RapidSSL which I will be upgrading to a real one in a few days (for not that many dollars) once I'm confident that all will work as it should.

I still have lots of work to do, transferring PHP files from the current WPE and figuring out if there are other consequences to doing SSL, figuring out how to make pages shift automatically to https, making sure the new Mini will work both as http and https, whether sessions remain intact when making the switch, or if it won't or they won't, how to deal with that.

Thank you all. I expect to have to ask more as I proceed. I appreciate this forum.

-Troy