[FX.php List] FileMaker performance issues during FMSA scheduled backups

Troy Meyers tcmeyers at troymeyers.com
Thu Oct 9 12:11:22 MDT 2008

> 1)       Do others have noticeable FMS/PHP performance issues during FMS
> scheduled backups?

Yes.

> 2)       Do you have ideas on how to resolve the issue? ALL ideas are
> welcome.

This isn't the solution I'd like, but here's how we deal with it.

The backup is scheduled to occur when employees are at lunch. A separate scheduled action sends everyone a message just prior to the backup, reminding them to quit working. While viewing during the backup (which is sluggish of course) doesn't cause trouble, actually editing records actually extends the amount of time that the backup takes, so we discourage that.

>From the web standpoint, our PHP pages all refer to a function that generates output to display a navigation sidebar. That function adds a red explanation block above the usual links, stating why the site is slow. Not a solution, but at least possibly less frustrating.

Take a look in about an hour, between 12:15 and 12:30 Pacific. Here's a page:
http://troymeyers.com/direct/?124391

-Troy