[FX.php List] iODBC

Todd Geist tg_lists at geistinteractive.com
Thu May 29 07:43:58 MDT 2008

Thanks for responding, I think?

I am not sure if you properly interpreted my email.  Perhaps I wasn't
very clear in my haste.  Let me try again.

I am well aware of how PHP can use ODBC, and iODBC in particular.   I
was trying to figure out what FX.php does with ODBC and why?

My understanding is that FX.PHP parses the xml result from the web
publishing engine, and therefor has no need for ODBC.  Digging through
the docs for FX.php I have found reference to the fact the ODBC data
sources are supported

Here is the info from the readme distributed with FX.PHP

<begin>
FileMaker Pro has quite a following, and with good reason:  it mixes
the power of a relational database with phenomenal ease-of-use.  PHP
is a free, embedded scripting language in use on nearly half of all
Apache web servers (which themselves account for about 60% of web
servers.)  PHP can access just about any data source, but there was no
easy way for it to pull data from FileMaker until 2001.  FX.php was
the first PHP class which allowed FileMaker enthusiasts to access
their data via PHP.  More recent versions have also added support for
MySQL, PostgreSQL, OpenBase, ODBC data sources, and more.
<end>

and then from the CHANGES.txt file also distributed with FX.php

<begin>
* Added support for ODBC.  (ODBC was tested with FM7SA and may work
with other iODBC data sources as well, but has not been tested.)
<end>

I have been investigating using PHP-ODBC-FileMaker and found it to be
extremely fast much faster then the FMPHP API.  This make sense since
it does not have the overhead of parsing xml.

So I am trying to understand if FX.PHP already includes support for
querying FM through ODBC and if so how.  It would be nice to have a
class that could be used with either scenario.

Thank you for your time.

Todd