[FX.php List] Planning ahead for inactive processes

Steve Winter steve at bluecrocodile.co.nz
Mon Feb 25 08:20:39 MST 2008

Hi Jonathan...

Your suggestion below is an excellent one, and one which I've employed
previously... it works really well where a solution has lots and lots of
pages within it that get called directly...

Other solutions which I've implemented include;
 - for small solutions, only use one file, index.php, quick and easy to
'turn off' at a later date, not so good for big solutions...
 - index.php is the only page that ever gets called directly, it includes a
series of logic which loads the required sub-page, so as above, it's easy to
turn off... works okay for medium sized solutions...
 - 'few' root pages... in a recent solution the logic was getting way out of
control for my brain to handle it all in just one index.php file, so that
solution has 5 root level pages, quick enough to 'turn-off' if required
 - similar to your suggestion, one server of ours has an actual 'control'
database on it... the server has about 35 'little bits' of web functionality
that get set-up for short-term exhibitions/activities... we have a master db
on that server which is called at the head of every page...it checks in the
db to see when the programme ends (the master db has programme name,
programme description, start date and end date) if the current date is > end
date, then a default 'message' page is loaded, in which the user is told
that the programme 'blah' with description' blah blah blah' ended on
'endDate'.

The other option that you could look into is using your server to redirect
all calls to a specific folder/site to a 'closed' page (never done that, but
know it's possible)

Food for thought...

Cheers
Steve