[FX.php List] Planning ahead for inactive processes

Jonathan Schwartz jschwartz at exit445.com
Mon Feb 25 08:01:59 MST 2008

Hi Folks,

At an increasing rate, I'm seeing that bots and past visitors with
bookmarks (?) are attempting to re-visit processes that have long
been retired.  The purpose for the original pages has expired.  The
original database might not even be running.

I'm looking for how I can best plan ahead during development, to deal
with the day that the pages are no longer valid.  It's no fun opening
up the code after 6 months and re-learning.

Obviously, simply removing the link to the start of the process isn't
the solution.

I'm thinking that one good option is to create a variable in
server_data that serves as an on off switch or data limiter.  Page
handling code at the top of each page could check for the variable to
decide if the pages are still valid or not. I'd rather do it while
the code is fresh in my mind rather than after.

What do other folks do?

Jonathan Schwartz
Exit 445 Group
jonathan at exit445.com