[FX.php List] [...barely off-topic] Upgrading webserver from PHP 4 to 5

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Wed Feb 6 12:24:39 MST 2008

OK, given Chris Hansen's inquiry about PHP versions, I think it's time
for me to bite the bullet and start upgrading my web servers' PHP
installs. I have quite a few web servers, so my plan is to start with
the machine that has the least web apps on it, and hold my breath...

Having said that, I was hoping that those who have gone through this
before might answer a couple of questions:

1. On a machine running Mac OS X Server Tiger, is the install
basically a double-click-and-install type of process, or is it more
complex? Are there known gotchas when I do this (not relating to web
apps, I'm getting to that)?

2. What is the optimal version to install (5.2.5) is what I see at
php.net?

3. OK, once I've got it installed, I need to make sure all the web
apps continue to work. They were all written in PHP 4, and I've never
declared a variable in PHP 4 (which has come back to bite me with off-
site-hosted solutions).

So what are known issues I'm going to want to repair in my web apps? I
plan to turn off ALLOW SHORT OPEN TAGS, which I don't use anyway...
anything else?

Thanks for your help, oh wise ones...

bob at longtermsolutions.com

   CONTACT US VIA INSTANT MESSAGING: