[FX.php List] special characters and fm

Wes Plate wes at automaticduck.com
Wed Sep 26 21:52:25 MDT 2007

On 9/26/07 12:29 AM, "Steve Winter" wrote:

> The php function is utf8_encode(), though I'm not sure I understand how your
> system is working...
>
> Another web service receives data from the user, which it saves into an XML
> file, and then your solution parses that XML file into FMP...? if that's
> correct, then the utf8_encode isn't going to help you, since it's the web
> service that creates the XML file that needs to be utf8 encoding that
> file... make sense...?? or am I completely lost...??

I'm sure _I am_ the one that's lost.

Here is what I know:

We have a module for our online store that "posts" XML of an order to our
FX.php-powered system for entering into FileMaker Pro.  The idea being that
an order happens online, it is transferred to FileMaker and then later a
script triggers some back-end processing on the order.

Sometimes the back-end script fails because the order wasn't transferred to
FileMaker Pro.  I've learned that the orders that fail are the ones with
"extended" or "European" characters in them.

As a back-up, the same module that sends our server the XML post also sends
the XML to us in the body of an email.  I made a version of our FX.php
processing script that allows me to paste the contents of the XML backup
email into a form that uses FX.php to get into FileMaker Pro.  This backup
form always works.

I'm guessing the text I the email is Unicode, but maybe the XML post data is
not.  I thought that maybe I could take the variable that represents the XML
data post and make it "Unicode-y"

Here is a portion of my PHP script that fails with extended characters..

http://www.automaticduck.com/screenshots/fx-excerpt.php.txt

Thank you, I hope you can keep helping me.

--
Wes Plate
 Automatic Duck, Inc.