[FX.php List] [OT] (mostly) CTRL-N in browser

Steve Winter steve at bluecrocodile.co.nz
Thu Sep 6 15:09:09 MDT 2007

Hi Joel,

Yeah, I was pretty pleased with where I was heading until I ran into the
issue with the browser responding to the CTRL key combination. Kevin F.
confirmed what I had feared that there was no way round with without
something hideous and proprietary like ActiveX, so I've put that aspect of
the idea on hold.

As to why go down this route, the answer is simple, cost...! My client has
spent a number of years developing an excellent solution for behaviour
management in schools, which they've been able to sell into a number of
schools who were already using FMP for other administrative tasks. The next
step was to try and sell it into non-FMP schools, at which point they found
that the cost of licensing FMP server, and enough clients became
prohibitive, even at educational licensing prices, for many schools...

Enter stage left, one copy of FMSA on their server, a db for each school,
and a replacement web front-end that I'm in the process of developing... it
enables them to continue selling their product, but now to any school that
is interested, since all the school needs is a web browser to operate the
solution, rather than either a copy of FMP for every member of school staff,
or the inconvenience for those staff of having to use specific computers
with FMP on them...

I've been using FMP since v3, and find it still to be an amazingly useful
and flexible application, however these days I seldom use it as a front end,
for exactly the reasons you outline, the PHP/CSS/JavaScript combination,
especially now with Ajax reaching the levels that it has, to be a vastly
superior combination to the available front-end tools in FMP.

This probably leads many people to wonder why I use FMP over one of the more
'traditional' web backends like MySQL or the like. My answer is because it's
smart... it can think for itself and perform all manner of things much more
easily than other database solutions that I've worked with can, especially
when you add a couple of relatively inexpensive plugins to the mix.. In one
recent app I developed it sent faxes, emails, text messages, bar codes to
mobiles, printed swipe cards, received emails, ran real-time auctions with
auto-bid facilities, made coffee... well sadly it couldn't actually make
coffee, but it did do everything else... when you put that power behind the
flexibility of PHP/CSS/JavaScript you've got an awesome combination.

Okay, I'll get off my soap box and return to the topic at hand...because of
the nature of the site and the development I'm afraid that it's not publicly
accessible, however I'm about to head away on holiday for a couple of weeks,
which will involve several hours on trains and planes so I'll undertake to
develop a 'proof-of-concept' from what I've done which I will make available
online, and the source of which I'll provide to members of the list that are
interested...

Cheers
Steve