[FX.php List] Problem with site on client's server

Steve Winter steve at bluecrocodile.co.nz
Thu Oct 18 08:48:13 MDT 2007

Hi Bob,

Both of those things are php configuration things... not anything to do with
Mac/PC or v4/v5

Within the php.ini it’s possible to specify if you can use the short tag <?
In place of <?php and also what level of error reporting is done...

It sounds like your development server is the most ‘relaxed’ about things,
ie, allow short tags, and doesn’t report notices, where as the client’s
server is the most uptight, and requires long tags and reports notices...

Take a look at your php.ini file for the following sections;

; Allow the <? tag.  Otherwise, only <?php and <script> tags are recognized.

; NOTE: Using short tags should be avoided when developing applications or

; libraries that are meant for redistribution, or deployment on PHP

; servers which are not under your control, because short tags may not

; be supported on the target server. For portable, redistributable code,

; be sure not to use short tags.

short_open_tag = Off

And

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

; Error handling and logging ;

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

; error_reporting is a bit-field.  Or each number up to get desired error

; reporting level

; E_ALL             - All errors and warnings

; E_ERROR           - fatal run-time errors

; E_WARNING         - run-time warnings (non-fatal errors)

; E_PARSE           - compile-time parse errors

; E_NOTICE          - run-time notices (these are warnings which often
result

;                     from a bug in your code, but it's possible that it was

;                     intentional (e.g., using an uninitialized variable and

;                     relying on the fact it's automatically initialized to
an

;                     empty string)

; E_CORE_ERROR      - fatal errors that occur during PHP's initial startup

; E_CORE_WARNING    - warnings (non-fatal errors) that occur during PHP's

;                     initial startup

; E_COMPILE_ERROR   - fatal compile-time errors

; E_COMPILE_WARNING - compile-time warnings (non-fatal errors)

; E_USER_ERROR      - user-generated error message

; E_USER_WARNING    - user-generated warning message

; E_USER_NOTICE     - user-generated notice message

;

; Examples:

;

;   - Show all errors, except for notices

;

;error_reporting = E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE

;

;   - Show only errors

;

;error_reporting = E_COMPILE_ERROR|E_ERROR|E_CORE_ERROR

;

;   - Show all errors except for notices

;

error_reporting  = E_ALL ; display all errors, warnings and notices

Personally I have deliberately set my development server up so that it
reports every type of error, and has the optional things, like short tags,
turned off, so that I can be reasonably confident that a solution I develop
will ‘work’ on pretty much any server...

Cheers

Steve

   _____