[FX.php List] [Off-ish] Advice on FMS8A -> FMS9A migration strategy

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Tue Nov 6 09:44:58 MST 2007

I've never run my web apps on a single machine, but because our
hosting clients also use their databases by connecting remotely, the
database servers get a lot of traffic. To have a single machine doing
web serving, remote database hosting, and also doing Web Publishing
Engine duties, is asking a lot out of a single machine. We based our
configuration decision mainly on FMI's on recommendation that a multi-
machine setup is the optimal setup for using databases for web
applications.

I can't imagine that a single machine could ever match the speed of
dual machines for web apps, since you're lightening the load on the
FileMaker Server considerably by not putting the WPE on it and not
using that machine for web serving. In FileMaker's best practices
guidelines (and also at Devcon), they stressed that users should avoid
having the FMS machine do anything MORE than just running FMS[A].

bob at longtermsolutions.com

   CONTACT US VIA INSTANT MESSAGING:
      AIM or iChat: longterm1954
      Yahoo: longterm_solutions
      MSN: tech at longtermsolutions.com
      ICQ: 159333060

Contact us for FileMaker hosting for all versions of FileMaker
PHP • CDML • Full email services • Free DNS hosting • Colocation •
Consulting