[FX.php List] Identifying off topic posts (was NTLM protocol)

Chris Hansen chris at iViking.org
Thu Nov 1 17:21:55 MDT 2007

List,

This is as good a place as any for me to step in...  To be precise,
this is an FX.php list.  And I should state up front that both Bob
and Gjermund make valid points: most solutions any of us do will use
multiple technologies, but there needs to be line over which messages
are labeled as off topic ([Off] is sufficient if that's preferable to
the sender.)  For example, the current php.ini thread is on the
border of off topic -- yes it is straight PHP, but the question
thread could almost be on any PHP list.

So where is the line?  Quite frankly that's hard to define.  Some
posts are obviously ON topic -- migration from a previous version of
FM/FX.php, how does one handle FileMaker checkboxes via the web,
etc.  Some posts are obviously way OFF topic (using FileMaker with
Cold Fusion, for example) and shouldn't be on the list at all.
Fortunately we almost never get those =)  The gray area in between is
somewhat hard to define, and is where messages should be flagged by
the poster.  If a list member feels that a post should be labeled as
off topic, they may say so.  If the poster feels that this request is
unreasonable, they may appeal directly to me.  (The last thing anyone
wants is threads which are essentially "are not", "are too", ad
nauseam ;-)

So the originating thread IS off topic, but also IS very welcome and
appropriate on the list.  Just mark is as [Off].  Don't assume that
an [Off] post will get less attention, because some of us (me at
least) are very interested in the interesting ways that FX.php can be
used with other technologies.  99.9% of the time list members mark
messages appropriately, so no one should worry about this too much.
And if you slip up, rest assured that someone on the list will tell
you so.

HTH

--Chris Hansen
   FileMaker 8 Certified Developer
   FileMaker 7 Certified Developer
   Creator of FX.php
   "The best way from FileMaker to the Web."
   www.iViking.org

>>> FX.php_List at mail.iviking.org