[FX.php List] GET vs. POST in a web app

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Tue May 8 08:26:36 MDT 2007

Yes, I know about using aliases, and that may have helped a little,
but I had the DNS all ready to switch; I opened a window with each of
the DNS records I needed to change, so that took all of about 2
minutes. What took longer was double-checking each site; naturally I
had left a few sites off my list, so I had to go back and grab those
too, but it all went well.

Had I thought about using a subdomain when I started writing PHP
sites, I'd have been able to make a single DNS switch.

On May 8, 2007, at 3:21 AM, Erik Andreas Cayré wrote:

> The DNS process could be simplified:
> -name the server (eg. imac2.longtermsolutions.com IN A xx.xx.xx.xx)
> -use CNAME for all solutions (eg. www.customer.com IN CNAME imac2.
> longtermsolutions.com)
>
> When moving a site to another server, just change the customer DNS
> (eg. www.customer.com IN CNAME imac3.longtermsolutions.com)
>
> This is much easier to handle...
>
>> Gjermund, I'm not sure what you mean by server_data.php on WPE #2;
>> server_data.php is in each website, not in WPE. So I went through
>> each website (on the new server) and changed the IP address in
>> server_data.php.
>
> My point was this:
> If all sites were pointing to a domainname instead of an IP
> address, you would only have had to change the IP in the DNS, and
> not in each site's server_data.php file...

But I still needed to change the IP address of every domain name that
uses PHP. In some cases these folks use multiple domain names (as
many as 6 on one site), and I had to change all of those. I had it
ready to go though, so it wasn't a huge deal.

I don't use CNAME records for domain names; I always resolve the
domain name and the www record with "A records." That wasn't a big
problem though...