[FX.php List] shopping cart solutions and filemaker

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Tue Feb 6 16:05:41 MST 2007

Stephen,

I started with FXCart and modified it for use with my clients. To be
honest, it required a lot of work before it met my clients' needs.
However, it does have the basic structure that a cart needs, so if
someone wanted to use it as a starting point, that would be a good
thing.

You can see the results of my mods to FXCart in several sites:

http://www.crystalgayle.com/cart/index.php
http://www.margem.com/cart.index.php

I added a lot things, like related items so that when a customer
pulls up an item, they can see similar items (a la Amazon, etc.). I
also made it possible for one of my clients to put up special items
on the cart's home page (on margem.com), so that they can feature
items; it's all done using the database. Plus I wrote an entire
backend for the cart so he could manage it without having to own
FileMaker. The backend allows image uploading, complete setup of new
items, etc.; it was probably more work than the cart was, as it
turned out.

However, for a starting point, i think FXCart is useful; it saved me
from having to write the basic cart structure, which was good.

And to think, I didn't know any PHP until I went to your 8-hour PHP
workshop... I owe it all to Allyson! :)

Best regards,

bob at longtermsolutions.com

   CONTACT US VIA INSTANT MESSAGING: