[FX.php List] PHP Notices OK?

Roger Price rp272 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Dec 12 10:07:07 MST 2007

Jonathan

I fell 'foul' of undefined variable notices a few weeks ago when I was given
a right earhole bashing by my University hostmaster.

PHP takes these in its stride but the reporting feature was switched on. I
use many include files (some nested and on evey page), so adding another
include file called 'define.php', which check every variable that appears in
the log and if undefined sets it to zero or null - whatever is appropriate.
This does not appear to degrade the performance of the pages too much and
keeps the hostmaster happy. However given the choice I would just turn
'notices' off but that is not an option for me!

Roger