[FX.php List] IWP vs CWP

Erik Andreas Cayré erik at cayre.dk
Sat Dec 1 12:08:39 MST 2007

Den 01/12/2007 kl. 19.31 skrev Dale Bengston:

> Hi Frank,
>
> Warning: This is my opinion based on my experience and my clients'
> requirements.

Same warning applies re. my comments;-)

> Personally, I wouldn't touch IWP with a 39-1/2 foot pole.

I've spent many hours since july 2007, implementing an IWP solution
with FM9. Most of my time has been spent learning the limitations of
IWP vs. FMP ntive UI, and finding acceptable work-arounds for bugs,
missing functionality etc.

If I had to do it over it would *not* be with IWP.
The promise of IWP is to easily and quickly make an FMP solution
accessible via a webbrowser. This is certainly possible, but it has
limited use. You must be willing to accept the (many) limitations and
odd 'features' of IWP, and not many users/customers will do this (in
the long run).
Even when you think you 'just' need a simple UI without bells &
whistles (as I did in july), you will probably stumble on the
limitations.
In my case:
-using bitmapped graphics in container fields does not always 'just
work' as in FMP
-precise layout design is difficult: different browser produce
slightly different results... (even the officially supported ones)
-entry validation is a pain in the BEEP because you can't do popup
dialog boxes...

> Everyone's requirements are different. Your mileage may vary. It
> boils down to the trade-off between rapid rollout (IWP) and getting
> everything your client wants out of a web-enabled solution (CWP).

Agreed.
IWP is fine when the application is simple/small and requirements for
UI are very low.
CWP gives you anything you've ever seen in a webbrowser, at the cost
of more initial programming time (in another language...)

> Dale
>
> On Dec 1, 2007, at 12:17 PM, Someone wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> Just curious what people think about IWP?
>> Is it faster to setup than CWP?
>> Are there a lot of bugs?
>> Do you prefer CWP?
>>
>> Looking into setting up a REP web application for my client.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Frank

---
Erik Andreas Cayré
Spangsbjerg Møllevej 169
DK-6705 Esbjerg Ø

Home Tel: +45 75150512
Mobile: +45 40161183

»Interest can produce learning on a scale compared to fear as a
nuclear explosion to a firecracker.«
--Stanley Kubrick

»If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.«
-- Albert Einstein

»If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do
it over?«
-- John Wooden, basketball coach