[FX.php List] one machine intallation

Kevin Futter kfutter at sbc.melb.catholic.edu.au
Wed Apr 25 18:34:10 MDT 2007

On 26/4/07 9:53 AM, "Tom Sepper" <tsepper at directorschoice.travel> wrote:

> I can definitely see why FMI would say it's best practice to make DB changes
> offline. I'm sure we've all noticed the annoying "bug" when duplicating
> layouts and such. Remember that pre-FM7 that you couldn't make definition
> changes to a live database; it had to be offline.
>
> A few weeks ago, I was working from home writing a pretty intricate script
> when my Internet connection went out for about five minutes. When it came back
> up, I tried to log onto my FM database only to see that all scripts were gone!
> This DB file has about 600 scripts. Thank God for backups!

On the other hand, we used to struggle to maintain our databases effectively
running under the restrictions imposed by 5.5 Server, as our databases are
busy enough to make it impossible to take them offline for work. This was
especially annoying if all you wanted to do was fix a typo on a layout. We
find the whole show much easier to manage now, but I will concede that there
could be unknown negative side-effects to this approach. So far though, the
benefits far outweigh the negatives.

--
Kevin Futter
Webmaster, St. Bernard's College

by MailMarshal

This e-mail and any attachments may be confidential. You must not disclose or use the information in this e-mail if you are not the intended recipient. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately and delete the e-mail and all copies. The College does not guarantee that this e-mail is virus or error free.  The attached files are provided and may only be used on the basis that the user assumes all responsibility for any loss, damage or consequence resulting directly or indirectly from the use of the attached files, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not. The content and opinions in this e-mail are not necessarily those of the College.