[FX.php List] Two DB's or One?

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Sat Sep 23 15:24:18 MDT 2006

Hi,

Yes, I actually was referring to using a separate machine to run FM
Unlimited. When I started hosting FM databases for the web, OS X
Server didn't exist yet, and at the time WebSTAR was the best choice
for a web server on OS 9 (at least, in my opinion). Under OS 9, it's
best that FMU is in the foreground, so I always dedicated machines (I
still use 14 of them) to FMU. The only other app that I run on an FMU
machine is an FTP server.

These days, with OS X Server, I still use separate web servers; I
have 4 machines running OS X Server, 3 of which address FM databases
(both version 6 with CDML and version 7/8 with PHP). With the advent
of inexpensive little machines like the Mac Mini, one could put FMU
on a Mac Mini and it would probably work just fine in that capacity
(I haven't tried it, but have used much slower machines as FMU
machines in the past and they actually performed fairly well for low-
to-medium-traffic sites). I use RAICs for all of my CDML sites, so
one FMU machine isn't trying to handle all the FMU queries on its
own. It also gives me redundancy in case a machine crashed, which
wasn't unheard of with CDML.

The downside of this arrangement is that, with CDML, one has to
upload HTML and image files to all of the machines--web server plus
each of the FMU machines in the RAIC. Some of my sites run on a 3-
machine RAIC, which means that every update has to be made to 4
machines. I was thrilled when I moved to PHP and only had to upload
to a single machine! However, I still have 150 or so databases
running with CDML, most of which will probably never be moved up to
PHP and FM 8.5 (clients wouldn't know the difference!).

In my company I don't use any machine for more than one function; I
have separate machines running mail, DNS, mailing list, and
PageSentry, which monitors all my servers. It requires a lot of
machines (28 at last count) but has proven to be the best way to
handle lots of sites and databases.

Best,

bob at longtermsolutions.com

   CONTACT US VIA INSTANT MESSAGING: