[FX.php List] Disappointing results in migration to FM8 & FX.php

Matthew White mattw at netfriends.net
Mon Mar 20 06:48:43 MST 2006

Hey all, a couple of thoughts.

One, We have purchased The zend development environment.  One of the nice
tools is a profiler, which will lay out all the script steps etc to analyze
where your performance hits are coming.

Two, I have performed queries of >1 million records through the web
interface with fx.php and got results back in <5 seconds, so there should be
a solution to your problem.

If you haven't done so already, use the direct xml interface to perform the
query and see what your return time looks like.

Just an overall thought, I am very pleased with the high end of response
times from FMSA 8, my only complaint is that the min response time is ~.5
seconds.  That may not seem like much, except we have created various perl
and python utilities that use php web services utilizing FMSA as a backend.
One is a logging tool and when we tried debug level logging (i.e. 10 inserts
in the log db in fm per second, per thread, 3 threads) we totally chocked
the dev version of FMSA, it returned "too many users" errors from FSMA.
Ickey.

In addition, if you are performing a parallel series of operations in one
script, the delay for each operation is painful. Leading to script run times
that are 5-10 seconds.  Not ideal for a client application.

Matt