[FX.php List] Just Curious

John Phillip Barclay jbarclay at uiuc.edu
Thu Jul 20 12:06:18 MDT 2006

I did some programming in high school with assembly language, pascal,
and BASIC on apples, TRS-80s, and Ataris.

My formal training is in Environmental Engineering with my research in
mathematical modeling of groundwater and crop economics (FORTRAN) and my
work experience from the mid 80s to mid 90s was generally in
construction, organic farming, community organizing, etc.  I got back
into programming in the 90s when the Web took off.  Most of my
experience is with ASP and Visual Basic, XSLTs, XML, and CSS.  I hadn't
used filemaker 5,6, and 7 but did a lot with 4 and lasso.  For a recent
project I picked up PHP and FX.php and Filemaker 8 and found my skills
mapped well to it as follows:

Templating Languages: XSLT -> smarty templates
Glue Language: ASP -> PHP
Classes: COM objects -> PHP objects
XML database API: FX.php -> ADO XML

Web developers in general seem to come from all over while most of my
favorite programmers have English and Art backgrounds.

John Barclay, Champaign, Illinois www.johnbarclay.com