[FX.php List] How to return large chunk of HTML

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Sat Aug 19 10:22:56 MDT 2006

I have a project where my client needs to store raw HTML in a text
field, and then, by way of a search, return a chunk of HTML and
display it.

When I try this, my page churns forever and never displays; I suspect
it's because of all the assorted quotation marks, etc. that is in
these HTML documents (which are translations from MS Word and which
are filled with all sorts of hash).

Is this doable with PHP? If so, is there a limitation in the size of
a text field that I can reasonably return? Is there a function that I
should use to "treat" the field before trying to display it?

To take this a step further:

When I even try to do a search for something simple, on a layout
which also contains one of these text fields (but I'm not searching
the large text field or referencing it at all), I get the spinning
beach ball of death.

Here's the problem: my client has approx. 500,000 of these HTML
pages, and for complex reasons we have to keep the HTML intact and
not try to recreate the pages in code. So I came up with the idea to
import the HTML into a text field, and then do normal FileMaker
searches to pull up the appropriate pages. In his current site, he
uses this set of almost a half-million small HTML pages and
Javascript pulldowns display the appropriate pages. I'm trying to
move them to FileMaker so that we can create detailed visitor logs,
bounce unauthorized visitors, and so on.

bob at longtermsolutions.com

   CONTACT US VIA INSTANT MESSAGING:
      AIM or iChat: longterm1954
      Yahoo: longterm_solutions