[FX.php List] Very very odd behavior

Jonathan Schwartz jschwartz at exit445.com
Sat Jul 11 18:37:03 MDT 2009

Hi Folks,

Just had a hectic 2 hours that I thought that I would share....

Environment is Windows Server 2008/FMS10 with API (not fx.php), but
I'm not sure it matters.

Client was installing an emergency generator system and scheduled a
shutdown of all power in the building.  All systems were shut down
gracefully.  When the generator work was done, the FMS10 server was
brought up without event. The Filemaker file could be accessed
locally (within the building), but it soon became evident that access
from the outside was not available at all.  No FMP Remote use nor
Custom Web Publishing.  It was determined that the T-1 line was the
problem (not sure how or why) and once corrected(?) , remote FMP and
Custom Web publishing returned...or so we thought.

It took 5 hours to realize the following very odd behavior:
	- Native FileMaker would perform normally: Read, Write,
Create, Delete, etc.
	- CWP would only Read. It would not Write, Create, Add or
Delete...and.... WOULD NOT THROW ERRORS!  PHP scripts were humming
along oblivious to the fact that records were not being edited,
created, etc.  We knew there was a problem only when we noted that no
new records had been created in 5 hours, when there should have been
dozens.

After 2 hours of troubleshooting, without result, we resorted to
restarting FileMaker Services, FileMaker Server and Web Publishing
Engine. That put things back on track and the system started behaving
normally again.

Wha happened?

Jonathan Schwartz
Exit 445 Group