[FX.php List] [OFF] This is gonna sound dumb

Jonathan Schwartz jschwartz at exit445.com
Tue Jan 8 19:15:19 MST 2008

Hi Folks,

This is gonna sound dumb, but sometimes the simple things are not so simple.

I am migrating from a single server (mac mini) at a colo, to two
different (new mini) servers.  In order to go from the single server
to two servers, I will have all three installed at the same time.

The problem and question is regarding naming convention.  I'm getting
all screwed up using my default system: server1, server2 and server3.
Server 1 is going away.  Server 2 is taking it's place.  So, server 2
took server 1's IP address. And server 3 took server 2's place Arghh!

I now realize that I shouldn't use numbers to name servers.  And, do
you name the functional "spot" for the server or the machine itself?
When establishing Rev DNS, you can't be changing things every other
day.  The SysOp doesn't like it. ;-)

I could some seasoned advice from those that have gone down this road before.

Thx

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Schwartz