[FX.php List] [OFF] This is gonna sound dumb

Tim 'Webko' Booth tim at nicheit.com.au
Wed Jan 9 15:20:11 MST 2008

> The problem and question is regarding naming convention.  I'm
> getting all screwed up using my default system: server1, server2 and
> server3. Server 1 is going away.  Server 2 is taking it's place.
> So, server 2 took server 1's IP address. And server 3 took server
> 2's place Arghh!

The other way of looking at it is that these names are fine - think
about the services on the machine, not the physical box.

At my old work, we had fms01, fms02, fms03 for the internal FileMaker
Server boxes - but exactly which machine they were wasn't important. I
know we had at least three fms02 incarnations on 2 physical boxes -
the first one blew its power supply, we brought the backup machine
online and restored the fms02 image to it, so it was now fms02,
replaced the power supply and swapped back. All the end users knew was
that their files were on fms02 which suffered two short outages ;-)

Personally, my favourite ever naming convention was my cow series of
FileMaker 4 web boxes - started with 'bull' (short for the bulletin
board service it initially ran, my first web system from 1997),
followed by cow, calf, heifer, ox...

HTH

Webko