[FX.php List] [OFF] Those Whacky End Users

Jonathan Schwartz jschwartz at exit445.com
Wed Nov 28 09:43:38 MST 2007

Bob, Dan,

As I add features to my processes, the number of allowable navigation
options goes up. Along with it goes the need to allow/restrict the
desired navigation.  I'm willing to rethink the entire approach of
"session_handling".

Perhaps we need to clarify the term session and session handling.  Is
it OK to uses these terms to describe the "page-to=page process"
we've designed? Or, are these terms reserved for referring to Apache
and PHP "Sessions"?

Anyway, the number ways that a user can "properly" access a page "
	- Normal progression through interview process
	- Back button
	- Custom Navigation bar

Improper access:
	- Back button after the interview process has been completed
	- Back button after the interview process has been completed
	- Navigation bar after the interview process has been completed.
	- Bookmarked access
	- Referral link from former "session"
	- User experimenting with URLs
	- Bots
	Add to that: users who have not officially completed their
process, but are starting another.

So, in my eyes, there's nothing simple about accounting for all these
possibilities(realities).

FYI, I employ an FMP log.fp7 file that writes out a record for every
screen access in the interview process. It writes out field
validation errors and everythng.  I end up with a single registration
record, but 25-50 log records documenting the path the user took to
finish the process.  By monitorng the log file in real time, I am
constantly amazed that while one user can breeze through the
interview process in under 4 minutes, some users take 3 -4 times that
time, hitting every validation error in the book.  Others walk back
thru the process several times before committing.  I swear that there
is enough data in these logs to write a graduate thesis on human
behavior. ;-)

Jonathan